BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, April 29, 2010

"Better When We're Together"


The day that I have both been anxiously awaiting as well as dreading, has finally come. April 30th is here and it is the last day that I'll be spending with my 2nd graders at Kyffin Elementary. I knew I would be sad, but I never imagined I'd feel the way I do now. . . my heart hurts way more than I expected it to. I've been a little down all week and for the first time in awhile, I wish time would slow down so that my last day would never come.

Tomorrow is April 30th and I'm wondering how tomorrow is going to be for the kids and I on our last day together. . .it's definitley going to be a day full of love with lots of hugs and tears. I'm so lucky to have worked with such an incredible group of 7 and 8 year olds. I've grown to love them more than I ever imagined and although I'll miss them more than words could ever describe, I feel in my heart that I've made a difference in their lives. I'm not exactly sure in what ways, but I know that in some way or another, I made a difference, and they certainly made a difference in my life. I feel content leaving and knowing that I did my best as a teacher and most importantly, gave them all of my love every single day. I just got finished creating a slide show that I am going to show them tomorrow- it's full of pictures that I've taken of them throughout our 4 months together and the song I chose to go along with the slideshow is "Better Together" by Jack Johnson. At first I had no idea which song I should choose, but when I listened to the words of this song, I knew it was the ONE. I think it's supposed to be refering to a man and a woman (as usual), but a lot of the lyrics fit my feelings perfectly.

Anyway, I know I'll be just fine and I know my "wee ones" will be just fine too! I'm just going to miss them oh so much. I've never felt so much love in my heart and I'm thankful to be going into a profession that allows me to have these feelings. Plus, kids are just awesome. . .even the bad ones aren't so bad. On a brighter note, graduation is just 8 days away and I couldn't be happier about that! I'm looking forward to celebrating with great friends and of course, my incredible family!

Over the past year, I've worked with lots of different kids in different schools and as you know, kids can say the funniest things! I've kept a journal and written down some of the best lines I've ever heard my kids say and I'd like to list off some of my favorites:


"Miss. Taylor! No wonder your boss is coming today, you look like a nice beautiful man!"
This was earlier this semester when I wore a suit- my UNC advisor was coming in to observe me teach and apparently I reminded this little girl of her father when he dressed up in a suit for work.

"Miss. Taylor, when you went skiing and fell, did you crash your head into a tree? Because you have a really really flat forehead!"
This was after telling a group of first graders about a crash I had while skiing, although I didn't crash my head into a tree (Thank GOD!).

"Why is that state called "Misery"??
This little boy was refering to the state of Missouri and was awfully confused about why someone would name a state misery- it was very cute!

"Miss. Taylor, you smell soooo good! You smell like a sharpened pencil!"
A sharpened pencil was the last thing I expected to hear her say!

Well, listing those off certainly put a smile on my face (-: I feel better. There are so many more, but I'd be typing all night if I listed them all! Anyway, just thought I'd share with you and wish me luck on my last day tomorrow. . .*hugs*!

0 comments: